Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Portfolio Reflection

 I have looked over all my writing pieces I have written and published and I have to say that I feel that I have done a good job on all of my pieces.
I feel that, as a writer, I should state what I have and what I lack. Some of my better parts of my writings - my strengths – are that I can relate to different people in different ways through my writing. I have tried different styles of writing – poems such as limericks and haikus, as well as full stories, short stories, and memoirs. I can put my ideas into different formats so that they will relate easier to people. I can also look at an idea from more than one angle.
But as for weaknesses, I do have them too. I sometimes get ahead of myself when I'm writing. I have too many ideas in my head at one time and then I get them mixed up and out of order. I also get off task sometimes and then forget where I am at in a piece.
I do have good and bad pieces as well. I think my best piece is probably my memoir piece - The Farm because it has a very good storyline for a short story and it sounds very nice along with other things like it having good flow as well as different styles of sentences and have a good explosion in it with a lot of details. It also describes my feelings well and goes on to actually kind of talk to the reader in a way.
Now, as for my acrostic piece, it is not my greatest piece I've ever written. It sounds really good and has a good meaning with it all, but I think, personally, that it sort of rambles on to the topic. Usually I like to state my topic and then elaborate but in this poem, it seems to kind of just go back and forth on the subject.
When I was writing these pieces though, my thought process was very clear and organized. I tried to figure out right away what I wanted to say and how I wanted to say it. I brainstormed and then started to elaborate on my ideas. As I started to get deeper into my writing, I started editing it and revising it and making sure it sounded right and looked right too.
After using my own method for a few years now, I have realized a few things like what works for me and what does not. I usually work better in an environment where it is quiet and I won't be disturbed or distracted easily. That helps me write both more and also helps me write better with things like details.
Like many writers though, I do always have encounter a case of writer's block. Usually, if I come upon this, I try to step back and relax for a minute. I get my mind off of it and everything and open up. After that then I can usually focus back on the piece and start to write better. Sometimes I'll listen to music to help calm me and focus me.
As I do continue to write, I feel like I want to get to know the reader and their side more. I will probably try to open up feelings from both sides in my pieces and hopefully I will make an impact on people in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment